Feet in 2 Worlds is accepting applications for our 2021 editing fellowship. The recipient of the fellowship will be mentored and trained in editing for radio, podcast and online media by a team of veteran editors. In addition, the fellow will be responsible for day-to-day operations of the Feet in 2 Worlds website and will co-manage the Fi2W online magazine, the Fi2W podcast and will work with our media partners in public radio, online news sites, and print publications.
The ideal candidate is a dynamic and versatile radio/podcasting journalist with a demonstrated interest in stories about and from immigrant communities and communities of color. Previous editing experience is helpful, but not required. Journalists from immigrant backgrounds and from communities of color are strongly urged to apply.
The fellowship is a one-year commitment from February 2021 to February 2022. This is a paid ($500 per week), part-time position (20 hours per week) at The New School in New York City.
The deadline to apply is January 1, 2021
Feet in 2 Worlds is a leader in journalism that centers underrepresented communities. We help journalists from immigrant backgrounds and Black journalists improve their skills and advance their careers.
Founded in 2004, Feet in 2 Worlds offers fellowships and workshops to both established and emerging journalists. We produce podcasts and digital stories for a variety of platforms, including our website, Fi2W.org. Areas of special interest include: the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on immigrant communities, food, campaigns and elections, arts and culture, and the connection between migration and climate change.
Feet in 2 Worlds is based at the Center for New York City Affairs at The New School. Our team works remotely. The fellowship will be remote and can be done from anywhere in the continental U.S.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Work with and provide support to journalists from a range of backgrounds and a range of journalism experience to produce content for Fi2W and our media partners.
- Edit stories in a variety of formats (text, audio, multimedia and video) for content, clarity, style and accuracy.
- Work with our media partners on the development of reporting projects, and to expand the audience for stories produced by Fi2W.
- Contribute ideas for reported stories, podcast series, social media content, workshops and live events.
- Develop original content for Fi2W.org, the Fi2W podcast, and social media.
- Administrative tasks as needed.
- At least three years’ experience in a fast-paced, idea-driven news media environment.
- Demonstrated engagement with issues of importance to immigrant communities.
- Superb writing skills showing originality and creativity.
- Proficiency with audio recording, microphones and recorders, and audio editing in Audition and/or ProTools.
- Production experience with multimedia (image and/or video) preferred.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proficiency with a range of social media platforms and awareness of new platforms.
- Demonstrated history of creative problem-solving in a news media environment.
- Familiarity with content management systems (basic knowledge of HTML preferred).
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken.
- Experience working with freelancers in an editorial capacity preferred.
- Effective time-management and ability to produce excellent work on deadline.
- Ability to collaborate closely with others and thrive in a team environment.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Experience writing for broadcast or podcast strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in multiple languages preferred.
To apply, please send a cover letter, your resume and two samples of your work to Fellowships@feetin2worlds.org. Put “2021 Editing Fellowship” in the subject line of your email.
The deadline to apply is January 1, 2021.
Fi2W is supported by The Ford Foundation, the David and Katherine Moore Family Foundation, the Ralph E. Ogden Foundation, the Listening Post Collective, an anonymous donor and readers like you.