Are you a journalist from an immigrant background based in New Jersey or on Long Island?
Are you interested in covering the 2020 election from the perspective of immigrant communities and communities of color?
Do you want to develop your skills as a storyteller in a variety of formats, including audio?
Do you have unique story ideas at the intersection of immigrant communities and state and local politics?
Feet in 2 Worlds, an award-winning website and journalism training project, is offering a politics reporting fellowship focused on state and local races in suburban communities in the tri-state New York area. This is a unique opportunity to learn new skills while covering stories about critical issues concerning immigrant voters, immigrant candidates and immigrant issues in the 2020 election.
The fellow will be mentored by experienced audio producers in the Feet in 2 Worlds network. Stories will appear on WNYC, Gothamist and the Feet in 2 Worlds website.
The fellowship will be awarded on a competitive basis. It begins in June and runs through mid-November 2020. This is a paid fellowship open to staff reporters and freelance journalists. The fellowship is structured to allow maximum flexibility for journalists with full-time jobs or other obligations.
Journalists from immigrant backgrounds and from communities of color are strongly urged to apply.
Fellows receive the following:
- Training in all phases of audio production for broadcast and podcast.
- Training in story development from concept to publication.
- Introduction to the WNYC newsroom, and the opportunity to contribute to WNYC’s on air and online streams.
- Training in the use of social media as a journalism tool.
- Access to Feet in 2 Worlds’ international network of immigrant journalists.
- Opportunities to pitch stories to nationally distributed public radio programs.
- Use of field recording equipment and access to audio editing software at The New School.
- A $3500 stipend.
The fellowship is open to staff reporters and freelancers who work in any language and in any medium. The fellowship will be conducted in English, and all reporting for Feet in 2 Worlds and our partner organizations will be in English.
Submit your application via this Google Form. Please include:
- Two story ideas related to the 2020 election and immigrants. We want to see full pitches, not just headlines.
- Your resume
- Samples of your work
- A cover letter
A demonstrated history of covering immigrant communities is required. Political reporting experience is preferred. Previous audio journalism experience (radio and/or podcasts) is not required.
The deadline to apply is Monday, April 27th, 2020.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fi2W is supported by The Ford Foundation, the David and Katherine Moore Family Foundation, the Ralph E. Odgen Foundation, The J.M. Kaplan Fund, an anonymous donor and readers like you.