Feet in 2 Worlds seeks to redesign our website, fi2w.org, to improve its functionality and to better reflect our mission, more clearly present our programs and our journalism, and to showcase our people, including staff, fellows, Advisory Board, and alumni.
Our mission statement, included below, captures what we do, but our website does not. Our current website was designed primarily as a news site. Since it was created several years ago, our organization has evolved. We still produce news content, including podcasts, radio stories, and digital stories, as we have since our founding in 2004. But our primary focus is on training and mentoring, and the content we produce is mainly an expression of the methods we have developed over the years to advance the careers of immigrant journalists and bring their work to new audiences. We want to do a better job of displaying our journalism, and putting it in the context of our mission and programs.
Who we are looking for
We’re looking for someone with experience building editorial websites and non-profit websites who can ensure our website incorporates the best elements of both.
Immigrants and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
What we are looking for
- An updated WordPress theme
- A fresh new look. Possible new logo and other visual elements.
- Updated site security: ssl certificate, https etc.
- Google Analytics setup
- Better searchability
- Easier to navigate
- Optimized for quick loading—compressed images etc.
- Mobile first
- New hosting if needed
Content Management System
- Classic WordPress editor
- Yoast or similar plugin for SEO
- Technical SEO basics: schema etc., page load speeds
- Review categories and tags—What’s the simplest way to organize the archive and what should we do going forward?
- A social media plugin to control preview image/text for social media feeds.
- Daily automated WordPress backup
- Simple top menu
- Think about accessibility
- Ensure logo looks up to date and not fuzzy
Fi2W.org — homepage prioritizing org’s messaging (possibly replacing About Us)
- Programs, people, content
- Banner/feature area up top advertising opportunities
A simple front page for journalistic content
- Latest stories
- Audio stories
- A section highlighting past stories
- Page with details of the program and links to the Conecta Arizona website, Facebook page, etc.
The Feet in 2 Worlds network includes hundreds of journalists across the country and around the world who have gone through our programs. We want the website to tell the story of the network and act as a directory and resource for media outlets that are looking for talented reporters and editors.
A database of current staff, alumni, advisory board and others in the network
- Simple layout with short bios. Easily searched and sorted.
- Dual purpose as a contributor page?
- Resource for people looking for journalists
- Basic promotional info
- Describe the work of the fellowships
- A system for taking down past fellowship applications and putting up new ones
- All job ads and calls for participants
- Calls for story pitches
- Food journalism
- Stories that result from training
- Contact us: single form to route all non-fellowship inquiries
- About: perhaps a static page with just the basics so that no matter how the homepage changes this always exists for people to find
- Users should feel like they’re navigating an editorial website with related stories etc.
- Should follow typical news story layout: Headline, subhead, byline, date at the top, maybe contributor bio at the bottom
- Podcast specific page should prioritize a Soundcloud embed
- Have funding credits appear at the bottom of each post.
- Endless scroll
- A way to archive old listings without confusing anyone
- Talk to developer about categories vs tags
Websites we like
References for contributor database
Feet in 2 Worlds Mission Statement
Feet in 2 Worlds (Fi2W) is a journalism training organization and news outlet for immigrant voices. Our mission is to address the historic underrepresentation of immigrants and people of color in the news media.
Founded in 2004, Fi2W offers paid fellowships and skill-building workshops to early and mid-career journalists interested in making stories for radio, podcasts, and online news. Our work has a significant and lasting impact on the careers of the journalists we work with and contributes to building cultural competence in mainstream media newsrooms.
Fi2W provides a publishing platform for our fellows and contributors. Our reporting is developed with expert care and guidance from Fi2W staff and our alumni network. We maintain deep connections with culturally and linguistically diverse communities across the nation.
Our program is designed to help participants sharpen their skills in story development and audio production. Media partners and creative collaborations ensure our stories’ exposure on numerous platforms, including, but not limited to, local and nationally syndicated radio, digital news sites, podcasts, and conferences.
Submit your proposal here.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com
Fi2W is supported by The Ford Foundation, the David and Katherine Moore Family Foundation, the Ralph E. Ogden Foundation, the J.M. Kaplan Fund, the Listening Post Collective, an anonymous donor and readers like you.