The founder of Fi2W reflects on our organization’s quinceañera.
Tag: radio journalism
We are no longer accepting applications for this position.
Managing Editor, Feet in 2 Worlds
We are looking for a dynamic and versatile multi-media journalist to join our team. Feet in 2 Worlds is a small but powerful organization focused on telling the stories of today’s immigrants, and helping journalists from immigrant backgrounds improve their skills and reach new audiences on public radio and the web. The managing editor is involved in a wide range of activities including planning, assigning and editing stories for our on-line magazine, supporting and mentoring journalists in the Fi2W fellowship program, overseeing our social media streams, planning live events and workshops, and working with our media partners in public radio, print and online journalism.
Founded in 2004, Feet in 2 Worlds offers fellowships and workshops to both established and emerging immigrant journalists, and produces stories and podcasts. Areas of special interest include: telling immigrant food stories, politics from the perspective of immigrant voters, arts and culture in immigrant communities, and the connection between migration and climate change.
Feet in 2 Worlds is based at the Center for New York City Affairs at The New School in New York City.
The managing editor is a part-time position (20 hours per week). We are hiring initially for a period of three to four months, with the potential for on-going employment. The managing editor may work remotely or at The Center for New York City Affairs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include
- Contribute ideas for all aspects of the project in all its forms: reported stories, social media content, workshops and live events.
- Work with and provide support to journalists from a range of backgrounds and a range of journalism experience to produce content for Fi2W and our media partners.
- Edit stories in a variety of formats (text, audio, multi-media and video) for content, clarity, style and accuracy.
- Work with our media partners on the development of reporting projects and to expand the audience for stories produced by Fi2W.
- Develop original content for Fi2W.org, the Fi2W podcast, and social media.
- Administrative tasks as needed.
- At least five years’ experience in a fast-paced, idea-driven media environment.
- Demonstrated engagement with issues of importance to immigrant communities.
- Superb writing skills showing originality and creativity – experience writing for broadcast strongly preferred.
- Proficiency with audio recording, microphones and recorders, and audio editing in Audition and/or ProTools.
- Production experience with multimedia (image and/or video) preferred.
- Experience working with freelancers in an editorial capacity preferred.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proficiency with a range of social media platforms and awareness of new platforms.
- Creative problem-solving in editing stories and interviews.
- Familiarity with content management systems (basic knowledge of HTML preferred).
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken.
- Proficiency in multiple languages preferred.
- Effective time-management and ability to produce excellent work on deadline.
- Ability to collaborate closely with others and thrive in a team environment.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
To apply please send a cover letter, your resume and samples of your work to Contact@feetin2worlds.org. Include the words “Fi2W Managing Editor” in the subject line of your email.